Accused Bondi Shooters Acted Alone and Did Not Undergo Instruction in the Southeast Asian Nation, Police Confirm.
The pair of accused individuals who carried out the deadly attack at a Hanukkah celebration on Bondi Beach, resulting in 15 lives, reportedly operated independently, as stated by national law enforcement.
Police additionally revealed that the 50-year-old Sajid Akram, and his son Naveed Akram journeyed to the Philippines on 1 November. Their itinerary involved arriving in the main city Manila before traveling onward on the day of arrival to Davao City. The pair flew back to Sydney on 29 November.
Lack of Proof of Training During Stay
Investigators indicate the individuals did not partake in any form of terrorist instruction or "organizing" during their stay in the Philippines. Early inquiries from local officials point to they "mostly stayed in" their accommodation.
The attack—labeled as Australia's worst firearm massacre since 1996—has been formally designated a act of terrorism.
"We are currently analyzing the material," the commissioner said, adding that initial reviews suggest that "the alleged offenders are suspected to have operated independently."
Australian Federal Police Chief Krissy Barrett told media on Tuesday that CCTV footage documenting the accused attackers' activities in the Philippines had been provided to domestic authorities.
"There is no evidence to indicate these suspects were part of a wider organization, or were instructed by others to execute an attack," she said.
Yet, the duo were additionally not necessarily in the Philippines on a leisure trip, she clarified. She emphasized that, as the inquiry is still active, new evidence may surface.
Motivation and Legal Proceedings
Previously, Australian leader Anthony Albanese said it looks as though both accused attackers were "influenced by Islamic State" beliefs.
During the incident, Sajid Akram was shot dead by responding officers. He and his son Naveed—equipped with firearms—are accused of having targeted attendees at the Hanukkah celebration.
Naveed Akram, who was wounded after the attack, has been formally accused of 59 offences. These comprise 15 counts of murder and one count of committing a act of terrorism. He is scheduled to appear in court in April.
Immigration Information
In the days following the attack, border officials in the Philippines stated that the father had entered the country using an foreign passport, while his son used an domestic passport.
The two had stated the southern city of Davao as their final destination. Their scheduled return flight to Australia was for Sydney.
Davao is a sprawling city on the eastern side of Mindanao, the Philippines' largest island in the south. Historically, Islamist groups have been known to be active in impoverished parts of central and south-western Mindanao.